Gregory G. Barnett
At a young age, Greg experienced handling, launching, repairing, hauling and winterizing boats in his family’s boatyard. He then went on to the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point and graduated in 1981 with a B.S. in Marine Engineering. After graduation Greg sailed as a licensed engineer on ocean-going vessels and integrated tug barge units. He then came ashore and worked in a shipyard and then for 10 years in the transportation and risk management departments for a Chiquita Brands, which shipped its fruit on owned and chartered vessels. Among other things, he managed a wide variety of insurance policies and claims involving cargo, hull, P&I, charter’s liability, FD&D, container, property and aviation risks. After graduating law school, Greg went to work as an attorney first in New Orleans and then New York and New Jersey. He has been involved in all aspects of commercial litigation, including admiralty and maritime, insurance, contract drafting and real estate. His clients include underwriters, charterers, shippers and individuals located throughout the world. He has experience in litigation, arbitration, mediation and insurance coverage disputes in virtually every state in the United States and with crisis management during on-board casualty investigations worldwide. He also services clients with real estate transactions, probate and trusts and estates.
Greg has worked as maritime counsel for importer/exporters and shipowners and has drafted complex documents, including transportation agreements, bills of lading, charter parties, service contracts and contract of affreightments.
Greg has also worked as a maritime arbitrator.
- United States Merchant Marine Academy, B.S. Marine Engineering
- St. John’s University, M.B.A.- Finance
- Salmon P. Chase Law School at Northern Kentucky University, J.D.
- Transportation Law
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Recreational Boating Law
- Employment Discrimination
- Contract Drafting
- Real Estate
- Commercial Litigation
- Trusts & Estates
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York;
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
Federal Appellate Courts for Second, Third and Eleventh Districts
- Admiralty Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Association of Average Adjusters of the United States
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Maritime Association
- International Bar Association – Maritime and Transportation Law Committee
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- New York State Bar Association
- United States Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association